Who are the Environmental Sustainability Programme finalists?
It's time to see why our Gulf Sustainability Awards 2021 finalists secured their spot in the Environmental Sustainability Programme category. Book now so you can meet them in person and follow their presentations live in Dubai on September 20th.
Dubai Taxi Corporation (DTC)
DTC aims to carry out world-class transport policies and legislations for optimising taxi transport to help make Dubai an environmentally friendly city.
For achieving the Environmental Sustainability of its fleet, DTC took the initiative for the change, and launched "The Green & Sustainable Mobility Initiative". It encompasses several significant projects and initiatives like Hybrid Taxi, electric taxi, hydrogen fuel cells taxi, and the autonomous & flying taxi.
The purpose is to foster green and sustainable environment conforming to the plans of the UAE and Dubai, as well as the highest international standards. From an environmental perspective, electric vehicles do not have any harmful emissions, while hybrid cars cut emissions by 49%.
When it comes to Hybrid vehicles, DTC is one of the pioneers worldwide to deploy Hybrid Taxis in its taxi fleet since 2008. DTC is taking radical measures to change the taxi of the future by including the innovative features, such as Smart Taxi Meter and Smart Screen.
DTC also started merging electrical and hybrid taxis within its fleet, which was built around the idea of encouraging the public and the commercial sector to begin using hybrid and electric cars in Dubai. DTC set off with the DEWA building Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles by locating the charging stations in the most critical locations. Some of these are Airports and Malls, serving the electrical taxis and other vehicles.
Etihad Rail promotes sustainability through its services, program and operations and has an impressive track history of environmental supervision and innovation. Etihad Rail offers cutting-edge impacts and benefits: faster, safer, more reliable, and environmentally sustainable services than current transport alternatives.
- Etihad Rails will monitor, manage, and minimise impacts on climate change by removing many trucks used for cargo from the road.
- The Truck Emissions estimates will drop by 79% by 2035. By December 2019, Etihad Rail has transported more than 27 million tons of granulated Sulphur for Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), the equivalent of 1,554,303 truck trips.
- One train removes approximately 300 trucks from the road, producing 70% - 80% less carbon dioxide emissions than trucks required to transport the same cargo.
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company
Pakistan is rapidly moving from being classified as a "water-stressed" to a "water-scarce" country. The decline of water availability per capita has given rise to serious concerns regarding future food security.
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company launched its Coal mining operations in the desert of Thar, an arid region of rolling sand hills. The irregular rain pattern and dry land made it witness long tenures of below-average crop production and drought-like situations. As a result, there are forced migrations and cattle loss creating famine and food insecurity.
In this challenging scenario, SECMC stepped forth and launched Thar Green Drive (TGD) with the following major initiatives:
- Thar Million Tree Program: The success story of One million Plantation to combat climate change in the region has the potential to sequester 21 K-Tons of CO2/annum while producing 118K-Tons of Oxygen.
- Bashir Ansari Green Park: A quality recreational facility with over 60 Acres is set up with Mechanized Merry go round, Mini Zoo, Bio-saline pilots, fishponds to motivate local folks for sustainability initiatives.
- Bio-saline Aquaculture: Gorano Reservoir was chosen to serve as a hub of food security. A successful attempt was made by distributing 15 Tons of fish(2019) and 20 Tons(YTD-2020) in the community. Additionally, it attracted piscivorous birds, which increased its significance as IUCN declared it as a New Habitat for Migratory Birds.
The EV-Network by GreenParking is the first-ever cross border network in the Gulf region. It is a grid of connected smart EV chargers that spans across the UAE. Bringing an unparalleled level of convenience to EV drivers, the Network provides state-of-the-art chargers to drivers who can check their availability, reserve the chargers, and even get directions to the charger closest to them. Chargers are displayed on the in-house developed app, drawing new customers and visitors from across the region.
This sophisticated app-based solution offers handy and highly accessible smart charging and enables seamless transportation across borders.
The main objectives of the EV-Network by GreenParking are:
- promoting electric cars - create a healthier environment
- positioning GP as the prime brand for eMobility Charging
- expanding the network by installing up to 3,000 charging points in UAE, Oman, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait to allow cross border travel by Electric Vehicles drivers within three years
- establishing partnerships with Car Manufacturers introducing new electric cars models
- targeting the majority of electric car drivers to become Network members
Their business model ensures that charging is free for the EV users. Through special arrangements with their partners like hospitality businesses, car manufacturers, car dealerships etc., they ensure unlimited access to the EVCS for the public and the best customer service at the charging points.
Users download the app for iOS or Android mobile phones and register with them. Once registered, the charging services can be used all over the EV-Network by GreenParking.
Haejoo has successfully delivered marine farm artificial reef projects in different regions in Oman as of 2013. The results are proven to be great success boosting fish biomass and biodiversity by tenfold, based on a two-year monitoring program with the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries (MoAF) of Oman. The eco-sustainable projects are widely appreciated by both governments, the community, and the private sector.
The cost-benefit analysis studies on marine farm projects consider the cost of building the farm and two main categories of benefits:
- Fisheries benefit that directly increases fishermen's revenue by the increase in fisheries resources due to reproduction, habitat restoration, and overall productivity created by the marine farms. It also decreases the cost of fishing due to the proximity and convenience of the newly built fishing ground.
- Indirect community benefits due to recreational activities such as fishing and diving, boat charters, and other tourism revenues. Overall, the multi-purpose marine farm sustainably supports the local economy by increasing income in many aspects, thus creating jobs and opportunities.
Recent research also suggests that coral reefs are vital for carbon sequestration. This reef-bound carbon sink is one of the many so-called blue carbon sinks. These are aquatic and marine environments that effectively store carbon, helping to mitigate climate change.
If you want to learn more and broaden your network of valuable contacts in the Gulf, book your tickets for the awards ceremony. Capture the chance to acquire a 20% discount and make a change by planting a Ghaf tree with us at the awards.